The club dates back to 1923, when the land on which the club now stands was sold to a Mr William Thomas Tucker.
The land was originally owned by the King’s Norton Diocese, of which Moseley was a part at the time.
The Reverend Hugh Priee, Vicar of Kings Norton from 1909 to 1923, was listed as one of the sellers of the land.
When William Tucker died in 1946, the land went up for auction.
It initially failed to reach its reserve price, but in 1947 the land was purchased by Warwickshire Lawn Tennis Association.
However, records to ascertain the identity of the purchaser have been destroyed and the benevolent purchaser remains unknown.
From the 1950s until 1977 the site was shared between the Central Electricity Generating Board (C.E.G.B) and Billesley Lane Lawn Tennis Club. The two parties also shared the pavilion (today’s clubhouse) which according to the minutes did not always go well!
Back then there were two entrances to the club, the current one on Billesley Lane and a second on Cotton Lane.
The Cotton Lane entrance was closed in 1986 when a piece of land on that side of the club was sold.
In 1996 Moseley Lawn Tennis Club was awarded a lottery grant and the four shale courts (courts 1-4) were removed and four new artificial all weather grass courts were constructed with floodlighting. These were officially opened on the 1st September 1996.
In 2009 the four artificial grass courts were replaced with four artificial clay courts and the lighting was upgraded.
In early 2013, construction began on upgrading courts and adding floodlights to courts 5 & 6 and on the 8th June 2013 the courts were officially opened by the 2012 WTA Edgbaston International champion Melanie Oudin.
The modern Moseley Tennis Club is consistently looking for ways to improve our members’ experience.
The club prides itself on maintaining its eight courts to the highest standard in order to gain the maximum playing life from them, and protect members from unnecessary capital repairs.
The artificial clay courts are regularly rejuvenated with sand, and the hard courts repainted to maintain their high quality.
We can’t wait to celebrate our centenary year of 2023 when the club will celebrate its 100th birthday.